Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Monday, May 24, 2010

Roth Food Memories

I love funny memories. I just finished reading my brother Dan's girlfriend Esther's blog (phew), and she wrote about a memory she had as a kid and it sparked a few memories that I have growing up. These are all food memories (and yes, it's almost dinner. The boys that left this morning gave us a gift card to Fridays. Who am I to waste such an opportunity? We are going tonight! No cooking. I suppose I will try to limit myself to the "healthy" items on the menu. Wish me luck). So here are a few food memories, Roth kids. Do you have any more?
1. Chips! Sunday night. Never any other time. They were a luxury, right? Orange plastic bowls, Dad faithfully doleing them out, and Vincent squawking that his bowl didn't have quite as many as...anybody else's! Sitting in front of the fireplace, (Vincent having started the fire), munching on our chips and seeing how long you could sit there before your back became too hot. It didn't take too much to make us happy, it seems.
2. Mom's cupcakes. Not your traditional from the cake mix variety. I don't even know how to describe them, other than that they were good and I liked the ones that didn't have jam in them. Plain, please! It was the best coming home from school, going in the kitchen, and smelling them come out of the oven. Mom has to find the recipe, because I have NEVER seen them anywhere since those old school days.
3. Rice Crispies (topped with a good spoonful or two of sugar). We had them for dessert. I have no idea why. But I thought for the longest time that they were a dessert item not a breakfast cereal.
4. Mom's macaroni with a spice mix that I can't remember the name of but it came from the Dutch store. It was so good and you could smell it outside when she made it.
5. Houtspout (however you spell it). I wasn't a fan of it. It was always served with fish sticks. Now I like it, but I don't make it because I think you have to grow up with it to like it.
6. Brudecole (yeah, another one I have no idea how to spell. Quit laughing at me, Lora!) Another not-so-favorite meal, but I like it now. Served with? Kielbasa.
7. Old Faithful (Sunday meal). Mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, beans, and roast. Served with a gravy like none other, and everything topped off with a good ole' spoonful of applesauce.
8. Mom's applesauce. It can't be beat. Smooth with nary a lump. You are ruined for store-bought applesauce after Moms.
9. Mashed potatoes with cabbage. Mom would try to disguise the cabbage by putting it into the potatoes, but your truely, Vincent, would always pick up on the fact that there was "cabbage in the potatoes" and loudly proclaim it to the rest of us.
10. Dutch pancakes. Thin, slightly crispy and so good. We had them for dinner. And the best syrup was that corn syrup in the yellow bottle.
11. Remember trying to swallow those yellow pills in the morning? What were they, fish oil pills or something like that? The problem was, you were trying to swallow them with your morning cup of tea, and they would start to melt in your mouth and taste HORRIBLE. I think it was Andrea who had the worst time of it.
12. I think Mom, me and Lora are the only ones who like this. Brown beans (some variety that I forget what they are called) with cut up onion, bacon, lettuce leaves, a little bacon grease and a dollop of mayo. Mix it all together and you have a delicious side dish.
13. Strawberry jam. All time best jam. Ever.
Well, that's it folks. Time for Mike to come home, and time for me to start getting ready to go out. Cheerio!

3 comments:

  1. oh, and your mom made the BEST chicken-something casserole. i don't know what it was but sometimes my mouth waters for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dutch pancakes... pretty much the best things ever! we still have them pretty frequently, like when dad is off evangelizing in toronto :). delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and what about sara lee cakes on sunday? eating all the cake and leaving the icing for last... mhmmm. and vanilla slices, sooooo yummy! also the chapmans icecream in the boxes that dad would slice... and i remember my unofficial job on sunday afternoons at 3:00 would be to go around and hand out icecream sandwiches to everyone. also can't forget tea and chocolate on sunday afternoons! only allowed 2 pieces each back then :)

    ReplyDelete