I shall be forever indebted to Mrs. Westerink. Why, you ask? Well, she mentioned at our Bible study the other day that the Proverbs 31 lady that we (as woman) hear about a great deal, WASN'T A REAL PERSON. Hurray! (Well, maybe not 'hurray', but you get what I'm saying). Solomon used an example to show what a godly woman looked like, but she was never a real flesh and blood human being. Because, if you ask me, there is no possiblity for such a woman to exist. Every woman has days when they are moody, yell at the kids, say something they shouldn't when they stub their toe, eat too much cake, grump when the dishwasher breaks, you get the drift. And so I shall forever comfort myself with the knowledge that she was not a real person.
And now, enough so-called "woman issues." There's so much out there in the Bible to discover that I think as woman we can do a real disservice to ourselves if all we ever do is study topics on "Biblical Womanhood" and the like. Wouldn't you agree?
I agree that it's a consolation that the woman wasn't real...because sometimes when I'm all inspired to be the "perfect" wife, and then promptly fail, it can get discouraging. I also agree that we shouldn't focus too much on women's issues. So much in the Bible is addressed to Christians, male or female, and I think our whole purpose in life is much grander and wider than we can ever imagine. Its not just about being the perfect mother or wife...it's more about living a life for God, while being a mother/wife. Not sure if that makes sense...
ReplyDeleteI was SOOO impressed by that too! are we the only ones that never knew that?!! seriously, we women can do a lot of things~sometimes all at the same time~but ALL THAT? no way. and i'm so thankful for that. really. no, REALLY!! it takes a lot of pressure off! (and just where does she get the $ to buy the field? ;) just thinkin' outloud...
ReplyDeleteDor said...
ReplyDeleteTalking to Petra the other day, we both agreed that the Proverbs 31 lady must be middle-aged, at least not with young kids underfoot!