Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Foodie Wanna-Be

I'm thinking of coming up with a secret recipe. Have you noticed all renowned cooks have some secret recipe of some delectable dish that they only impart on their death beds? Obviously, I've been reading way too much Jan Karen (Esther Bolick's orange marmalade cake, anyone?). I was thinking of making my icecream cake my secret recipe. Of course, I will burn the cookbook and hope noone ever stumbles across THE RECIPE. And I will have to make some well-thought out tweaks to the recipe so that it is officially mine. Anyway, all of this is just the ramblings of a foodie wanna-be. I can remember me and my sister Joanne cooking in the kitchen in Ancaster (when she lived in the house on Garner Road) and putting on phony French accents and pretending to be on a cooking show. (Don't ask me to speak like a French man. I stink at accents, as my husband would all to willingly concur). But I do enjoy cooking most of the time. I am always trying new recipes. Right now I am in the midst of cooking through a number of recipes from our Cooking Light magazine. Monday night I made Flank Steak with Roasted Endive, Spring Onion Agrodolce, and Arugula. Doesn't that sound delicious? And it tasted good, too! The best part about cooking light is that even if you eat a little too much, it isn't that feeling you get when you eat a huge portion of comfort food, (for example, pasta casseroles slathered in cheese sauce and served with all the fixins') that makes you waddle the rest of the night like a duck. No siree, you will still have a spring in your step after eating dinner and I'm all for that. Last week, for the first time, I made a middle-eastern dish and I loved it. It called for tahini, which I couldn't find, but was able to substite and it still tasted great. I will post it one of these days. First, though, a pork chop recipe. The recipe calls for pork without a bone, but I am of the opinion that pork without the bone has way less taste and easily becomes dry. But by all means, do what you want. Best of all, this recipe is EASY and FAST!

No comments:

Post a Comment