Welcome!
Welcome to my blog on just about everything!
Sunday, May 9, 2010
Mother's Day Memories
It was the start of a rather unpromising mother's day. I woke up, and it was cold and dreary outside. I dressed and fed Juliet, woke Mike up and hustled off to church. (I am one of those people that say they don't make a big deal about "secular holidays and institutions" but that is hogwash. I say that but the truth is, I like presents and I like compliments and I like romantic cards filled with mush. The mushier the better.) Well, back to my story. Mike stayed home from church with a somewhat sick Juliet. I hadn't even remembered that it was mother's day until the pastor mentioned it in prayer. Oh! Mother's Day! And Mike hadn't wished me a happy mother's day yet! My feelings were in that somewhat tenuous state between hurt and slightly miffed. I arrived home after church and waited for Mike to mention it to me. Hmmmm. He needs a little reminding, I thought. I opted for the casual yet discreet reminder. "Hey, hon, you should call your mother and wish her a happy mother's day!" There. That should fix it, I thought. Mike ignored my hints - for good reason. While my back was turned and I was busy with Juliet he hauled in my gift and hid it behind me. Hurray! It was my long wished for reclining lawn chair. I love it! I can put my feet up, and even take a nap in it! (If you don't own one, put it on your wish list for next year. You'll love it for when you watch the kids play around outside. Or you will be the envy of the town when you haul it to the beach). Well, my mother's day was definitely looking up! But it doesn't end here. Ladies, if you have a tendency towards a jealous nature, you just might want to skip the rest of this post now. You might view your mother's day with some dissatisfaction after this. Yep, my darling Cuddles had more surprises for me. After church, I put Juliet in bed and walked into the dining room. The notes of music were heard (romantic Andre Bocelli) in the background, and before my eyes on the kitchen table, candles glowed. It was a pleasant scene that assaulted my senses. I breathed in deeply. Salad, artfully prepared, sat waiting in the wooden salad bowl. No wine, but this was a spur of the moment thing, so who cares about that. And then...chicken wings. Yep, you read correctly. Chicken wings in a barbecue sauce and chicken wings in a Frank's Red Hot wing sauce - good stuff!!! So that was my mother's day. Just when I start to think I am the only one in this relationship with my head in the clouds oozing romantic notions, the hubby proves he can be too. Well, it's time for me and Mike to sit outside on our lawn chairs and solve the world's problems so I'll bid you all adios. Now that I've read this post, I will have to write another one less about myself and more about my mom and thanking her for being such a good mom. Goodness, what a selfish post!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment