Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Few Thoughts on a "New" Movement

I don't know a great deal about "New Calvinism". I've read a little about it and from what I've read, I'd say there's a lot to be enthusiastic about. Here is the definition according to wiki: New Calvinism is a growing perspective within conservative Evangelicalism that embraces the fundamentals of the 16th century Calvinism while also trying to be relevant in the present day world. People interested in reformed literature? Sounds good to me! People interested in holy living? Getting better and better. What I can't figure out is the doom and gloom attitude I've witnessed from well-respected Christians. I am not saying that there is never cause for concern in any christian "movement". But if fear and distrust is the overiding emotion one feels when hearing about new christian movements, I really don't understand it. If the Holy Spirit is moving in people's hearts in our country, shouldn't that cause joy and thanksgiving? We may not embrace every aspect of a movement, but I would think a Christian's overiding emotion would be of happiness that others are learning about God and wanting to be conformed to Him. Sometimes I think it must be easier to feel distrust and worry than it is to rejoice and give praise. If there is reason to be seriously alarmed about this movement, by all means, inform me!
Thabiti Anyabwile wrote a thoughtful article in response to Time Magazine making New Calvism one of the top new movements. Here it is if you are interested:
http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/thabitianyabwile/2009/03/17/why-time-magazine-trumpeting-of-new/

3 comments:

  1. "If this plan or this work is of men, it will come to nothing; but if it is of God, you cannot overthrow it - lest you even be found to fight against God." Acts 5:38-39

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your thoughts Nic! And I know your post wasn't even addressing the issue of whether New Calvinism is reformed or not but you could check out what your pastor over at Old Paths Paved (http://www.oldpathspaved.org/) wrote on this... on May 4, titled "Rock not Bach: Why New Calvinism is not Reformed."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael Horton's article was great. Thanks, Irene. Also, the Acts text is a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete