There is something refreshingly honest about children. I have been babysitting my nephew Jeremy for the past two days and you won't find a more honest little boy. I asked him if he was excited about Mommy having a baby and he paused for a moment, looked at me and said, "Excited? No! I don't like babies!" He made me laugh! He and Jules get along for the most part. Right now they are outside fighting over the new bubble lawn mower. I can hear them and I debate with myself: Do I intervene or let them duke it out? (Lora is never going to ask me to watch him again!) If I were to intervene every time a squabble arose, that's all I'd be doing! I'm one of those moms who sometimes just lets the kids figure it out on their own. Juliet is bound to realize that Jeremy is bigger so he just might be able to muscle away a toy or two. But Juliet is no shrinking violet either. (In church nursery, when I've asked the babysitters how Juliet was, I get vague responses along this line: "She was good but she is having trouble sharing," or "Well, she played nicely for the most part..." In other words, she was a stinker who bullied toys from the smaller kids and who only knows one word: "MINE!") Sorry, folks, let's just hope it's a phase. It's a little hard to combat seeing she is an only child and doesn't have to share anything at home. But these past few days have been a little different for her with Jeremy around. This is sort of along the lines of when it's too quiet in the house. You don't know what the kids are up to, but do you want to actually find out? Should you enjoy the quiet and try to get to that basket of laundry, or do you investigate? Usually I continue with my work and figure I'll find out about it soon enough.
And now, for a complete change in topic, I just read this this afternoon and it made me smile: (I love most of Jan Karen's writing)!
"Rodney passed a basket of ham biscuits his mother had sent. "Let's bless these ham biscuits, boys," he said, and launched into a prayer covering world hunger, food stamps, stray animals, firewood, the Baptist conference, Little Mitford Creek, Big Mitford Creek, the sick, the unsaved, an unwelcome forcast for more snow, the town council's decision on sidewalks for Lilac Road, the president, the Congress, the Senate, the House of Representatives, and the local fire and police departments.
"Amen!" said Homeless. "That ought t'last me 'til this time next year."
-At Home in Mitford, Chapter Eleven
She has a knack for making me really LAUGH.
And lastly I haven't been able to post pictures because I have been using out mac laptop since our big computer (aren't I technical) bit the dust. So, no pictures of the lighthouse/party hat birthday cake. (p.s. does a lighthouse with pink polkadots make any sense to you??? Now I will forever hold my peace). It is annoying using our mac laptop because the cover of the "C" key is missing - compliments of yours truely, Jules. And for some reason, the spell check doesn't work on this computer when I blog so if you see errors, that's why. It annoys me exceedingly when I see posts abounding in spelling and grammatical errors, but here I am filling my blog with them. Oh well. Here is the end of this hodge-podge post. Phew!
Aw I like hearing stories about Jules and Jere :). I can just picture him saying that about not liking babies... what a boof
ReplyDelete