Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Friday, May 14, 2010

Fire Alarms

Last night our fire alarm went off at 4:30 in the morning. It wailed for about ten seconds or so, then abruptly stopped. At the first sound of it, I bolted upright in bed and threw my covers off of me. Mike lay beside me unmoving. I whispered urgently, "Mike, MIKE!" Mike woke up in a hurry. "WHAT IS GOING ON?" And then the sound stopped. We stumbled around the house half asleep. No smoke anywhere. Mike climbed on our tall dresser in our room and looked at the smoke detector while I nervously waited below for him to come crashing down. He looked funny up there, trying to reach the detector without falling off and grunting at the effort. Monkeying around in the middle of the night is for the birds. Thankfully Mike didn't fall off and soon we were back in bed under the warm covers. It was hard to get back to sleep after that. I kept imagining smoky scents wafting through the air.... And if it wasn't smoky air, I was convinced that we were all under the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning (no joking matter). I couldn't sleep until I thought, "maybe God made the alarm go off, and it scared off a thief waiting to rob us." That comforted me and off to sleep I went. Interesting how the mind works in the wee smas.

2 comments:

  1. and this after our conversation at WBS...at least mike was home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always have a hoot reading your blogs, probably because i can totally picture you. remember the scary nights in our house with the mice?? haha!

    ReplyDelete