Here's something I've been thinkin' about for awhile but haven't actually done (I'm very good at this). I've been wanting to memorize christian songs to add to my repertoir. I have quite a few psalters down pat in my memory, know some hymns (but could definitely learn some more), but what I am particulary interested in learning (by memory) are some negro spirituals (is that the correct term? It sounds very politically incorrect, but that's the phrase I grew up with. Perhaps those songs are just called "Spirituals" now.) Anyway, I grew up listening to negro spirituals, but I haven't heard them in awhile and would love to learn some off by heart. One of my favorites is "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot." I think the reason why people like them so much is because the lyrics to many of these songs have a great longing for heaven in them. If you were a slave, you probably didn't have too much to look forward to in this life. Why not sing about the coming glory? And I need to be reminded of that too; long for heaven - forget this earth below. So my plan is to learn a new song say, every two weeks or so. My goal is to type a song out, put it right above my kitchen sink, and whenever I am washing the dishes, I can sing it and hopefully memorize it! By the way, does anyone have a cd of negro spirituals that you would recommend because I would love to get one. Well, here is the first song I am learning. I grew up hearing this song, but I tried to sing the chorus the other day and butchered it (all I could remember was the "cheer up my brother, live in the sunshine" part). So I looked it up and here are the first and third verses along with the chorus. (Couldn't find the author). Oh, and this is an old Southern hymn - don't know if it is a negro spiritual. I just read the song through and it kind of reminds me of the man who wrote one of the psalms and he questioned why the wicked seem to prosper. Don't know what psalm it is though. I think it was Asaph. (And, yes, it wouldn't hurt me to memorize some psalms, either!)
Farther Along
Tempted and tried we're oft made to wonder
Why it should be thus, all the day long
While there are others, living about us
Never molested, though in the wrong.
Chorus:
Farther along we'll know all about it
Farther along we'll understand why
Cheer up my brother live in the sunshine
We'll understand it all by and by.
When we see Jesus coming in glory
When He comes down from His home in the sky
Then we shall meet Him in that bright mansion
We'll understand it all by and by.
That's a great idea Nic - I have a fondness for Negro Spirituals too :). Hope you are able to find a CD and if you do let me know! A few years ago I was looking online for the same thing but had immense difficulties finding anything good....
ReplyDeleteNic, this song is somewhat of a family favorite. Our family would sing hymns every Sunday afternoon, and I believe this was the song they sang the Sunday after my 6-week-old nephew, Alex, was diagnosed with the disease that eventually took his life. Another great favorite is "By and By", which also focuses our eyes on heavenly realities where we will understand trials in this life, by and by.
ReplyDeleteMary
There's a small male choir group called "Chanticleer," I think(!) and they are fabulous singers. I have one of their cd's and I know they have one that is dedicated solely to spirituals. Haven't heard it though. --- Dor
ReplyDeleteHey Nic, Tennessee Ernie Ford (sp?)
ReplyDeletesings this song. I can just hear it in my head... :)