Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

More Ramblings...

So, what's new in my life? I've been reading lately. Since I review kid's books for the magazine Open Windows, I've been reading...kid's books! It's kind of fun although it is hard to make judgement calls. I just finished reading a book that I thought was fascinating, but I wasn't sure if kids would enjoy it. It took place in England during King Henry VIII's reign (yeah, the king with all the wives - to use a Canadian expression, SUPER interesting). I love learning about history, and the book definintely informed me about the time period, but, sigh, every christian in the book seemed to die, left, right and center. So, to recommend or not to recommend has been plaguing my mind. But I think I found a way out; it's too old for the kids that read the magazine, so that agonizing is done and over with! I also am very interested in biographies. I read a bio on Golda Meir - make that an autobiography, since she wrote it herself. It was all about how the state of Israel came into being, and the subsequent wars after its recognition as a country. I like learning about history that I know next to nothing about. And I am dying to read a biograhy titled "Jack" on C.S. Lewis since I am contemplating watching the play on the Screwtape letters in NYC. Mike and I saw it two(?) years ago with friends of ours, and it was well worth the money. And what should appear in my mailbox this morning but a coupon for the play?
Other news? Well, Mike and I went down to the shore with friends of ours and had a relaxing, fun-filled weekend. I wish our other computer was working for then I would post pictures. This past week I also found out what the "terrible twos" are all about. I can't seem to enter a store without our darling Jules having a meltdown over something. Today it was because she didn't want to sit in the cart. I've learned the hard way that it is impossible to go shopping with a little girl on the loose. She feels the need to touch EVERYTHING in sight and happily plops items in my cart, to my dismay.

2 comments:

  1. some of us love to read the kids books too...could it be my intellectual level? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dor said...
    A newer pretty interesting bio on Jane Austen is called "Becoming Jane." For Christian bios, you can hardly beat anything written by Sharon James, she can make something interesting out of history! I just finished "More Love to Thee" on Elizabeth Prentiss (author of Stepping Heavenward).

    ReplyDelete