Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Friday, June 18, 2010

And the Veggies are a Comin'!

The harvest is beginning! I picked EIGHT beans off of my bean plants yesterday and they made their way into our dinner last night. Shall I describe them for you? Compared to the ones I had bought at Shop-rite earlier in the day, these had a distinct SNAP when snapped in half. That is the sign of a fresh bean. Besides beans, I picked a pepper - two in fact. One was a sweet bananna pepper and the other one...sigh, in my over-eager/confident state, I picked a pepper that should have stayed a little longer on the stalk. I thought it was a jalopeno (very small), but it was really a green bell pepper - and he hadn't fully matured. So that is one pepper that will just have to be thrown out. Oh well, what's a pepper or two gone to waste when I can imagine thousands of peppers growing on my plants in the future? In fact, I think I may have planted a little too many pepper plants. If you should see an anonymous bag of peppers on your front step, you'll know where they have come from. Lastly, my tomatoes are doing fabulously. I expect some of them to be ripe in a week or two - unless they get that dratted disease BLIGHT! Last year my tomato crop was stricken (to use KJV language) by blight. In the end it wasn't so bad because it actually made the amount of tomatoes that matured just perfect for the consumption capabilities of my small family. But any grower of veggies and the like is supposed to hate any disease that dares to attack one's plants, and so I hate BLIGHT with a vengeance. Now, haven't I got you motivated to start poking your finger in the dirt? Weeds? We ain't gonna even start talking about them. All I know is that I am going to take the valuable advice of a fellow gardener and put that paper weed killer stuff down next year. I haven't even the heart to declare war on the weeds because there are so many of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment