Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Musings

Over a year ago, Mike and I moved from our little condo to the home that we live in now. I LOVED our house when we first moved in and I still love it now! We have a lawn for Juliet to play in, room to plant flowers and vegetables, large trees that give shade in the morning... I love to sit outside in the morning with my ten o'clock cup of coffee in hand, (a sweet of some sort in the other), and watch Juliet sit and play in her sandbox or kiddie pool. I get such a feeling of contentment! But I worry sometimes that I might love my house and yard a little too much. It's so easy to put down roots, to make big plans about the yard, to garden to one's heart content, that you forget that "we have no abiding city here below." You know, I could be reminded of this EVERYDAY, and everyday it would be like this was something new for me to learn. Of course, it's wonderful to be glad for the gifts God gives you, but I sometimes struggle with the balance. Am I loving my house too much? Can I let it all go if I had to? I read Corrie TenBoom's book "The Hiding Place" not too long ago (read it again if you haven't in awhile - you won't be disappointed), and her life was quite predictable and well-ordered for so long when suddenly everything was turned upside down. And having a nice, comfy home didn't matter anymore. What mattered was knowing God. And that's pretty much it.

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you wrote abou this! I've been thinking about this so much lately. I was very convicted of it last Sunday when Pastor Serafini reminded us that we need to find our contentment and approval in God alone. I struggle with being attached to Brian and Allie so much. Its hard to remember that God needs to be first even before the people that we love so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dor said...
    I remember the same feeling when we bought a house. It was so exciting, and you get everything set up just how you like it that you wonder if you like it too much. Just how much money, time, effort, thinking, planning is justifiable for a house, a shelter from the elements?

    I thought about it a lot, and I really think --- like everything else that we plan for and spend time on --- we just have to make sure it's not all about our own comfort. God certainly doesn't mind us having a cozy, practical, comfortable home, but He does expect His children to live for others, and that's what we can use our homes for!

    A good goal is to try to always have an open door for anyone who needs it. Be a hospitable host and make everyone feel welcome! It's actually a lot harder than it sounds, because sometimes we just feel too tired and too busy to have guests, but Jesus spent His life in service to others, and we can use even our homes in being a blessing for others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, dor. a wise post (as always :)) btw, can we stay at your house when we come up to canada???

    ReplyDelete