Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

On Baking Cakes

The pressure is on! Can I deliver? Or will the challenge prove too great? It's Juliet's birthday on Sunday, party to be celebrated on Saturday, and I have to bake a cake! Has anyone noticed the new peer pressure that is now a part of being a mom and having birthday parties? It's the How-Creative-of-a-Cake-Can-You-Come-Up-With challenge! The old sheet cake covered with white icing and a few colorful sprinkles is now a part of a by-gone era. So what am I going to come up with? For about three seconds, I contemplated making a Winnie the Pooh cake since my sister has a cake pan in that shape. But then I thought about it. Really thought about it. Though the shape would be Pooh, by the time I had done slathering him with yellow icing, would it look like him? Most likely not. People would be wondering what kind of cake I had come up with. "Wow! She's going modern! A yellow blob cake!" So, no, no Winnie the Pooh. I went to the store and looked at the cake pans they had there. FIFTEEN dollars for a cake pan in the shape of a flower - that I would only use once because next year you can't use the same shape (it's in the rules). So what to do? My husband suggested I make an icecream cake - afterall, I am famous for them (she said with a trace of smugness). On the other hand, last year I did an icecream cake and I didn't have the common sense to write the "Happy Birthday, Juliet" inscription in a contrasting color to the icing. So you really couln't see what I wrote. I could simply change that, but after last years flop, I need to make up for it with something BIG. Something that will make everyone gasp at my astounding creativity. Thankfully, my sister Lora pulled through. She has a cake pan in the shape of a party hat (as you can see, she has been involved in these contests for a longer period than I have. I'm just a novice at this. She is an...expert). And so, expect a picture of a cake soon, so beautiful, it will make you recoil in horror when you recall the last cake you baked!
Disclaimer: No part of the above post was intended to cause any hurt feelings. I greatly admire cake bakers. Keep posting pictures of your cakes. It's just that you have... COMPETITION!

1 comment: