Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My Magical Rubber Boots

There is something about gardening that cheers a person up. Last year Mike and I started a little vegetable garden. Mike thought it would be "fun" (his words, not mine). Do I know a thing about vegetable gardening? Nope, I don't. I can't give you advice on soil quality, when to plant, how to get the most growth, etc. Here is my method of gardening: Go to the greenhouse, purchase some random veggies that look interesting, shove em' in the dirt, and hope for the best. (Oh, yes, I do know you have to water your garden). It's actually quite rewarding. Lately I have been seen in my garden hoeing. It is tremendously satisfying. I get my rubber boots on (something magical happens when I put my rubber boots on - suddenly I am transformed from housewife extraordinaire to a rugged, weathered, country bumpkin), head on to the shed and get my hoe. As I make my trek across our yard, I lay the hoe on my shoulders and picture myself as a hardworking farmer's wife. Then I start hoeing like crazy. Weeds fly through the air and after half an hour, I gaze with satisfaction at the freshly turned dirt. Then I roll up my sleeves and check to see if I have any newly-made muscles. You might catch me running dirt through my fingers with a contemplative look on my face - that's just an act though. Then I picture the massive rewards that await me. I imagine how long my vegetable garden would be able to sustain our family. With my record, probably not more than a week. Last year I planted a bunch of different kinds of peppers - with success! When I was ready to cook a meal and didn't have a veggie, I would make my way to the garden, hope something was ripe, and tadaa - a fresh pepper or two. Throw some olive oil, a little salt and pepper on em' and toss them on the grill beside the steak. It made a lovely accompiament to steak in particular. I thought about canning, but first of all, I didn't have a big enough harvest for that, and secondly, once I read about having to boil jars and having to do so at certain temperatures, I was completely turned off from it. Maybe this year. But I don't think so. So if you want to feel a "little closer to the earth" (if that doesn't sound to hokey to you), by all means, start a little vegetable garden. The rewards are ENDLESS!

6 comments:

  1. "Then I roll up my sleeves and check to see if I have any newly-made muscles" - you made me laugh so hard when I read this. I've been enjoying time outdoors too- springtime is wonderful, don't you think? Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weeds just a flying eh girl? I bet you're a regular roadrunner just tearing through that dirt. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. somehow thinking of you as a farm girl is...well...not happening in my mind! gardening makes for a good mind cleansing~or a time to run over the pity-me list ;) enjoy it! maybe i should start a garden. maybe not. maybe next year...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know what you mean about the boots. i didn't can anything last year, but i froze beans. yechhh. as my friend described them, they were mush with strings. don't do it.
    about the muscles - hahahaha! - i was just flexing the ol' biceps in the mirror this morning. :) still flab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup I love a veggie garden too.Concerning the beans..ya gotta get the right kind.Nicolette you can ask your Dad for seeds. I gave him pole beans a few years back and he dries them out and replants with success.They've got to be a dutch stringless pole bean an "improved Westland variety" available in Canada at Dam seeds.Yummmm fresh beans from our own garden..can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your blogs always cheer me up, nic! you modify what my wonderful english teacher used to say: show don't tell! back to the subject at hand, in our small (big for Holland!) yard/garden, we've just planted three bushes: grape, blackberry and raspberry. no room for anything else, alas. i can imagine it's satisfying to weed, but no fun in 90 degree weather and a scorching earth! maybe then it'll make you count your blessings you weren't born a farm girl in the 1800's! :)

    ReplyDelete