Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Romantic Notions

Before we were married, I had this romantic notion that when Mike and I would go to bed, we would read a book, maybe even discuss it together, and spend some quality time talking about our day, etc. It took me about a month after we were married to reconcile myself to the fact that that simply was not going to happen. I was not going to go to bed at 2:00 in the morning which is when Mike goes to sleep! Mike, on the other hand, stays far away from the type of books I like to read, and had no intention of discussing books or having boring talks at eleven o'clock at night. Relationships are hard enough without having to analyze them at eleven o'clock at night! So I had to toss that romantic notion to the wind. There is, however, a silver lining in every dark cloud. Now I know that the second Mike's head hits the pillow, snoring ensues. And I can't fall asleep to the sound of snoring! I've tried the old "pretend it is the waves of the ocean" idea, but that didn't work for me. (One time I got so mad at him that I kicked him HARD, and then I tried to fudge that it was "an accident"). Anyway, another example of how romance changes just happened the other day. Mike was sick with a cold, and when he went to kiss me goodnight, I offered him my cheek, if you please. No thank you, I don't want a cold myself. In the past I wouldn't have cared a fig if he smacked me on the lips, but the idea of having a cold for a week didn't appeal to me. Is it a sign of impending fuddy-duddy hood? As my other post suggests, I'm already there in the music department. Perhaps my old dutch heritage is kicking in - "No foolish affectionate displays neccessary, huh?" (I am sure to get a protest on this post from "Dutch Flora" - but I did say "OLD dutch heritage")

5 comments:

  1. i love your honesty - none of this lovey-dovey crap coming from you bout how WONDERFUL your marriage & hubby is... :)

    keep it real, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. good thing you said 'old ductch tradtions'! cause we're definitely not old fuddy duddies :) lol. here everyone's busy kissing everyone 3x and i'm not keen on it at all. visitors? 3x hello, 3x goodbye. and it's just basically kissing the air. it appears to be affectionate, but in reality it's pure formalism. but isn't the american hug the same thing sometimes? all gush and no substance?
    i'm so glad hendrik doesn't snore. it'd be one of my biggest trials. i would be regularly engaging in kicking accidents i think. :) as for not kissing when sick...well our relationship is newer than yours and we haven't reached that fuddieduddie stage yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you Nicolette! When I Chris and I were dating, I could never get enough of snuggling up together, thinking about how nice it it would be to fall asleep in his arms at night. Now that we are married (almost 4 years now) I can't stand to have him even touching me when I try to sleep!!! Romantic notions totally change :)

    Love reading your blog posts, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dor here, not John -- Glad you said that romantic notions change - not end! That's the hurdle everyone has to leap from dating to being married a few months or years. Let the romance change to what suits married life, don't hit it over the head with an old Dutch shovel! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dor again -- Does romance die with marriage, or is it just the outward show that fizzles out and there's still something deep inside that the public doesn't see?! This is something I've been discreetly studying, ha ha! At weddings mostly. Everyone should be feeling relaxed and romantic there, right? No kids along. So I poke John and whisper, look! There's a couple holding hands or he's got his arm around her or they are really acting interested in what the other is saying and they have got to be at least forty years old. See? romance can thrive in a marriage! And then, I kid you not, this has happened at least 3 out of 3 times, I peer and eventually see no wedding rings, they're just a dating older couple . . . sigh. But I've come to the conclusion that when you're busy with everyday life, you still have to take time for dates to be romantic, but when you're at a wedding, you're both just keen on the good food, entertainment, seeing what everyone else is doing and wearing, and when you get home you'll sit on the couch and kick off your shoes and laugh and gaze in each other's eyes --- if the kids ain't hollerin'.

    ReplyDelete