Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Movies, Movies, Movies....

There's a dvd I really want to see. It's called "The Young Victoria." I know there was a movie put out a number of years ago about Queen Victoria when she was older - supposedly she fell in love with her Scottish gardener (that's how the story goes, at any rate).... I think it was called "Mrs. Brown". I don't think I saw it but this dvd is on Victoria when she was young and about her romance with Prince Albert. I love a good romance (without any overly amorous scenes)! I am a HUGE fan of all English movies along the lines of Pride and Predujice. Personally, I think the British (BBC) produce a great deal more interesting and well-made movies than Hollywood. Or maybe I just have something for the accent. Anyway, I love looking at the costumes and the beautiful landscapes and one of the reviews of "The Young Victoria" said the costumes were very accurate to the time period. They actually recreated some of the clothes she wore. (Am I the only one who thinks this is cool???) Plus, this movie had a good review at christianreview.com (I think that is the website - just google christian movie reviews and a whole host of sites will pop up) so I think I'll have to watch it sometime. I would highly recommend using christian reviews because it basically tells you all of the possible objectional content in a movie - violence, sexual content, religious worldview, etc. So if you watch something you know you really shouldn't of, it's your own fault and you can't say, "Well, it was rated PG and I didn't think there would be anything objectionable in it!" Okay, on to something else having to do with movies. Here is something you should have emblazened in your mind. Never, ever recommend a movie that you liked when you were fifteen or sixteen (honestly, when it comes to discretion, I have come to the conclusion that I had NONE when I was sixteen). Believe me, your tastes change! About seven(?) years ago, I recommended some chick flick that I had watched when I must have been sixteen. At the time I thought it was the greatest movie that I ever saw. Well, I decided to watch it five years later and it was one of those moments when you wish you could hide under the sofa or crawl under the rug, or just disappear somewhere, anywhere! It did take place in Italy so the beautiful panaramic shots of the rolling countryside was the only part worth watching. So never again! Incidentally, someone at our bible study was talking about a dvd player that will automatically delete inappropriate scenes. I am thinking of looking into it. Right now, I rarely watch anything, but when Juliet gets older, and if she has the discretion that I had when I was sixteen, I think it might just be a good idea....

No comments:

Post a Comment