Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spring!

My bulbs are almost ready to bloom! I am super excited! Every day me and Juliet make the rounds and look at the little green stems poking up from the ground... Juliet points down at them and says, "flowers" though I don't think she really knows what the fuss is about. I remember how much of a pain it was to plant those bulbs this past fall - bending over, trying to dig a hole in the hard ground with a little spade (why did I not just go get the big shovel - it's my own fault all the extra work I go through) - all worth it now! When I get some blooms, I will take pictures and post them. Doesn't spring just fill you with enthusiasm? The sun is shining, it's nice to just sit outside, I've filled FIVE garbage bins with branches and leaves, and I haven't had this kind of energy since....last spring! Now to lose this extra winter fat...sigh. But let's not ruin the moment with those types of thoughts. Anyway, here's a tip for novice gardeners (like me). If you plant bulbs, plant them in bunches. Nothing looks sillier than a round garden, for example, and ten single tulips spaced a foot apart. (No, I did not do this. I saw someone last spring with a garden like this and it looked pathetic. I wanted to knock on whoever's door it was and tell them what I knew to be the RIGHT WAY TO PLANT BULBS. Don't I have a big head?

1 comment:

  1. my bulbs have already come out!! crocuses in abundance. i even planted old dried out daffodil bulbs last fall and they're coming out now too. as for planting...i've learned a lot of tips from hendrik. plant in three's is also a rule of thumb for bigger plants.

    ReplyDelete