Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Christian Children's Literature

CURRENT Christian children's literature is important. The reason why I emphasized the word "current" is because many books that our children receive via school, church, or even books that parents purchase for them take place back in the day. There is nothing wrong with books such as Johnny the Woodchopper, or Jimmy, the Little Chimneysweep, and other stories along that vein. Many of them show the lives of children who have been delivered from Satan and who love God. Of course this is positive! But if the only books our children read take place in the 1800's, children can very easily start to believe that in order to be a christian you had to live way back then. Secondly, it may be somewhat difficult for children today to relate to a starving chimneysweep, or a poor woodchopper. Somewhat unfortunately, many of the children in these books die in the end, which could also enforce the mistaken idea that christian children die at an early age. And what child (or adult for that matter) wants to hear that??? (I realize that death was more of a reality back then for children, and so it does not mean that we should avoid these books. On the other hand, a steady diet of these types of books is probably not a good idea). I believe it is important to have a variety of christian material for your children to read! And that means investigating current (christian) writers!

3 comments:

  1. Johnny the Woodchopper or Jimmy the Little Chimney Sweep.... hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. good point. what do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of a conversation I had with Hadassah a while ago. I saw the 10 Girls Who Didn't Give In by her bedside - a VBS or Sunday School handout - so I asked if she was reading it. Her response? "Well, I WAS. But everyone kept getting killed in it so it was creeping me out."

    ReplyDelete