Here is a response from my sister to one of my posts. In that particular post I was wondering if it was possible to love your home too much. Having moved over a year ago, Mike and I are still thrilled with having our "new" house (p.s. I have got to write sometime on the blessings on owning a relatively small house - think less cleaning, BIG TIME). So here is my sister's wise response, and I thought it worth posting.
"I remember the same feeling when we bought a house. It was so exciting, and you get everything set up just how you like it that you wonder if you like it too much. Just how much money, time, effort, thinking, planning is justifiable for a house, a shelter from the elements?
I thought about it a lot, and I really think --- like everything else that we plan for and spend time on --- we just have to make sure it's not all about our own comfort. God certainly doesn't mind us having a cozy, practical, comfortable home, but He does expect His children to live for others, and that's what we can use our homes for!
A good goal is to try to always have an open door for anyone who needs it. Be a hospitable host and make everyone feel welcome! It's actually a lot harder than it sounds, because sometimes we just feel too tired and too busy to have guests, but Jesus spent His life in service to others, and we can use even our homes in being a blessing for others."
thanks for the post, nic. keeps it all in perspective. like all things, we need to be balanced between enjoying life here and expectant for the life to come: meaning enjoy God's good gifts but use them to His glory (homemaking / decorating - hospitality)
ReplyDelete