Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Why I Blog

(Reader discretion advised. This is a rather mish-mash post with some thought put in it, but a whole lot of rambling going on as well.)
So, why do I blog? For me the reason why I blog is because I enjoy writing. I am by no means a gifted or professional writer, but I've always enjoyed it (hence the degree in English!). I also like the idea of reading what I write years later. I have a terrible memory, and blogging allows me to remember events that I most certainly would forget! Some day, it will be funny for me to read what happened on Mother's Day, or I will be able to laugh at the time I had to get Juliet in trouble for saying "stupid".... I especially like to poke fun at myself while I blog - life's too short to take yourself too seriously. Also, blogging allows family members and friends to see what is going on in my life as well as Mike and Jules. I also blog because I like to write about things I'm thinking about - from what color to paint your toe nails, to the New Calvinist Movement. And yes, I have full approval from my husband on everything I write. I've long been wanting to get that statement in, so now I finally have the opportunity. I am of the opinion (I've got lots of them), that I never husband-bash - I just tell the truth with some color- and Mike has assured me that I have never offended him. Well, that's out of the way. Are there blogging dangers? As with anything! Some dangers are:
1.) It is tempting to make your life appear better or more perfect than it actually is (personally don't think I have a problem in that area).
2.) Obviously time can be a factor
3.) I've heard the term "spiritual posturing" thrown around to describe some blogs - a person can write all about their spiritual experiences - perhaps to the neglect of actually practicing godly living. Although, in our dutch "let's not get too personal" culture, I don't think openness (especially with regards to spirituality) is such a bad thing. And, I might add, it is easy to read a person's blog and be overly judgemental...
Things to keep in mind while blogging:
1. Motives. Motives. Motives. Why am I writing this? Is it to create a fuss or am I writing this because I actually am wondering about something?
2. Avoid being reactionary. Whenever something irritates me, I try to wait a month or two before writing about it. I've avoided writing some pretty dumb posts.
3. Be honest! It's so refreshing.
And lastly, some positives of blogging!
1. Guess what? Blogging can help develop relationships. There are people in our church that I now know more about because they blog! Blogging can help people to develop connections in church communities which maybe wouldn't be there before.
2. Blogging can be a creative outlet - photography, writing, crafts, etc. Endless opportunities to showcase one's talents is now available.
3. As I said earlier, most people probably blog to keep in contact with family and to let them know what's going on in their lives. Blogging can be a nice alternative to facebook which is somewhat impersonal.
That's all folks!

1 comment:

  1. you just keep on blogging, nic~i appreciate your honesty!!

    ReplyDelete