Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Hand Me Downs - I Love 'Em!

Is there anything more exciting than receiving a huge bag (or in my case, huge bins), of clothes to sort through for your own kid(s)? In my case, I have the pleasure of looking through bins of clothes that my niece wore at one time. And, seeing that she was a first born, her mom, my sister Lora, bought lots and lots of clothes - all being handed down to Jules. It really is so much fun digging through a bin, trying different pairs of shoes on, searching for the matching shirt that goes with the skirt, checking out the bathingsuits, and not having to pay a cent. I love it. (On a side note, I don't know if it would be quite so fun if I had a boy. I just love pretty dresses). I especially love getting Sunday coats which would be quite expensive brand new. So, if you see Jules wearing a different outfit to church every Sunday, don't assume it's a shopaholic Niccy who just can't keep her money in her wallet. And, so what if she has three Sunday coats? I mean, one for every Sunday, right? When it comes to actual paying for clothes, right now I am focusing on accessories for myself and Juliet. One of these days I will write a post on fashion - not that I am an expert or anything, but I am amazed at how accessories can extend your wardrobe.... Since I am teaching now and wear skirts everyday, it gets a little boring to wear the same thing once a week. So, it's off to the second hand store to look at the jewelry...

2 comments:

  1. and i'm sure she appreciates it that you actually USE them! i've given clothes away and seen that person almost every day and never wore any of them...now i give them to someone else and everytime i see the kids, at least 2 of them are wearing something i gave them. makes me want to give more. I've changed the way i shop~now i buy things knowing that it can be handed down and used even more. the giving can be just as much fun as the receiving (i've been on both sides so trust me, getting is fun too!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dor: Absolutely! The right scarf and tights and necklace/earrings or jangly bracelet go a long way to jazzing up a basic outfit! Now I try to stick to shopping for the basics that can mix and match and add colour with the extras :)

    ReplyDelete