Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Friday, April 20, 2012

Tear Squeezing

It was chore time in my house the other day (I don't actually have a "chore time" but it does have a rather impressive sounding ring to it). I was in my glory vacuuming the house, scrubbing the floor on hands and knees, and generally feeling pretty productive (this is not a normal feeling). To make it all a little more interesting I started belting out a variety of patriotic songs I'd learned in high school. It started out with "God bless America, land that I love! Stand beside her, and guide her, through the night with the light from above. From the mountains, to the praries, to the oceans, white with foam, God bless America, my home sweet home, God bless America, my home sweet home!" While singing, I felt a little choked up about the grandeur and feeling behind the words and thanked my stars that it was only Jules to see me and she wouldn't notice, anyway! Some people don't mind to show their emotions, but I certainly am not one of them, due to my stiff upper lip dutch heritage. The general emotion continued while I sang the national anthem and "My Country Tis of Thee". Now here's the question I have. Why can't I squeeze a tear out at other sad events (say a funeral, or some other sad news) while I can easily get emotional over songs?

No comments:

Post a Comment