Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

History Lessons

Lately I've been a dud at night when Mike wants to chat. Why? I'm lost in my 4th grade "History of the United States" textbook! This school year hasn't even ended yet, but I'm getting ready for the next! This is the first time I'll be teaching 4th grade and I am looking forward to it. Seeing I've never taught history before (let alone American history), I'm determined to know my stuff. I've become so engrossed in my history book at night that Mike gets put on the back burner. (Someone who is anti-woman-work outside-the-home, is seeing a lesson here - haha). Anyhow, I wouldn't consider myself ignorant when it comes to American history (I love historical fiction and biographies), but I've never actually sat down and read a textbook that highlights the main events in a country's history. It's fascinating to view history from a wider perspective- seeing the "whole picture" in just a few pages. So, what have I learned? Ahem. I'm slightly embarrassed to admit this, but I always thought those folks on the Mayflower were Puritans. Nope. The Puritans came a little later on another boat and landed in Massachusets. (Where was I when I went on my 12th grade trip to Boston and looked at THE ROCK where the Seperatists landed? Apparently I was in la la land - probably too busy wondering what my hair looked like). And now I've just published my ignorance to the world. Oh well. You might also catch me doing science experiments at home. This could prove a very interesting summer.

1 comment:

  1. I've had to teach American history for the past two years at a fifth grade level and I loved it! It truly is fascinating. I often took out a bunch of picture books from the library based on an historical event and read it to my students (example: a story on Paul Revere). They loved it. I also have some other materials I could pass on if you're interested (plays based on the Revolutionary War, some Colonial Times and Civil War stuff, etc.). Let me know if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete