Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"Birdgate"

What happens when you leave on a Saturday for three hours to attend a shower? You come home to find a "surprise" waiting for you on the dining room table. I've come to the conclusion that me and surprises aren't big fans of each other. Well, most of the time. I like to KNOW what is going to happen in advance. If Mike is getting me a present, I like to know what I'm getting. Terrible, isn't it? It takes the fun out of things but that's the way I am. So, I came home from this shower to see my husband and Jules beside themselves with excitement. "Come here, Mommy, we have a surprise for you!" I looked around the corner and I thought I saw something that looked like a birdcage. "Please," I thought, "not a bird. Please may it not be a bird. No bird, no bird." Turned the corner, and lo and behold, there stood a blue parakeet in all its glory in a birdcage sitting on my dining room table. My heart fell. How could my husband do this to me? Buy a bird WHILE I WAS AWAY WITHOUT CONSULTING ME AHEAD OF TIME???? It must run in the family for I remember when I was a kid, we got our puppy when my mom was away in Holland. Males, I tell you! I was pretty bummed out, but eventually my thoughts about the whole thing changed. I'm not a fan of birds in birdcages - there's something about being wild and free and all that good stuff - so it just doesn't seem right to this animal-rights activist. On the other hand, every kid wants a pet, and a bird is quite a low-key one. The benefits of the whole thing have become more and more evident. I actually like the bird (christened "Bluebell" by Jules) and my goal in life is to have the thing tamed. If you come over and hear some ridiculous chirping sounds, don't assume it's Bluebell; it could be me! So that's my exciting weekend. Mike and I have titled this chapter in our lives as "Birdgate."

6 comments:

  1. Dor:
    I'm still laughing, Nic! My sentiments exactly..."please don't be a bird, please not something alive that has to be taken care of and felt guilty about that it's not being well-taken care of enough!"
    I can't say I like surprises either --- they are usually the things people don't want to ask you about first because the answer would be no! :)
    John loves taking the girls to the pet store, but I've firmly avowed that any animals that come home will immediately be set free in the backyard --- one 140 lb pet is enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nic...I think I would have had the exact same feeling! A bird! I guess it does give some cheer in house :) After all, ever heard of a depressed bird? By taming, do you want the thing to be flying around in your house? Keep up the updates on your life with a bird...we're curious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Nic, this is so funny!!!!! On my property, my cats try to eat birds, haha. Oh well, I think that a pet is kinda fun to have if it's not a lot of expense and upkeep. Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. funny...or not! before we got pregnant with kayt, a friend of mine from work was getting rid of her 2 birds (Bir and Dee) because they were moving. i offered to take them (since nobody else was jumping at the chance~wonder why!). they were cute, but SO MESSY. our spare room had birdseed EVERYWHERE because they basically think it's like throwing up leaves in the fall. but...i sure loved to hear them chirping when i was alone while ed was in his residency. then one died. then the other. then i was very sad. the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have to agree with the messy part. i'm wondering if my bird will die soon and if i will be sad. but he/she? is awful cheerful and rather cute so i think i like it... but the vacuming every day is for the birds...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have done the same thing for my wife and kids! The "hum-drum" of each day can become boring for the wife so I know how much they appreciate surprises. Some flowers delivered to the door, a bird, etc.
    Duane

    ReplyDelete