Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Jules's Latest

We had just arrived home after church yesterday. I busied making coffee for myself while Jules wandered around the kitchen. After awhile, she looked at me and asked, "Mom, can I watch a video?" I'm not sure she remembered it was Sunday, so I told her, "No, sweetie, it's Sunday, and we don't watch videos on Sunday." This just happens to be one of the ways Mike and I want to keep Sunday different from all of the other days of the week. Jules looked at me and asked seriously, "God doesn't like videos?" Hmmmmm. This left me fumbling around for an explanation. "No, it's not that, Jules, but it's just a day where we want to worship God and go to church...." Jules-"God is in the church? The minister?" Me - "NO! The minister is NOT God!!! He's God's servant!" Jules, still confused dropped the subject while Mike and I looked at each other. This explaining business can be quite difficult. This morning Jules got into an argument with me while we went over her Book of First Questions by Carine MacKenzie (an easy version of the Westminster Confession). We've memorized the first fifteen questions or so, but she resists the question "Can I see God? The answer given is: "No, I cannot see Him but He sees me." Jules gets upset with this convinced she CAN see Him! He's the picture of the little boy in the book!!! So then I try to explain that God is in heaven and point up above. Now she probably thinks God lives in the attic or something! Sigh....... I suppose some things must just wait till she is older. I remember hearing as a kid the term "backsliding" in church and was convinced the minister was praying against those disobedient kids that slid down the slide on their backs at the public pool in town!

2 comments:

  1. Nic, I had to howl at your last comment. I remember all sorts of things that totally didn't match up with the real meaning. Abstract things are difficult for kids to understand. The whole idea of asking God for a 'new heart' is basically lost on most kids, if not explained properly. I'll have to buy that book by Carine Mackanzie sometime in the future. Now David has this 'Look and listen' Bible, and it's his favourite book :) The animals going into the ark is the best page because then he can go MMMMM for the cows ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nic, I used to have problems with the word 'backsliding' too! I always pictured people falling down a big muddy hill - slightly confused with mudslides for some reason, haha!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete