Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I Want my Gurl Edicated

Some day I want my little girl to be educated. Yes, I want her to know how to cook, bake, clean the house, and all that good stuff (though, personally, I find it all a little overrated - am I allowed to say that?). But I would love for Jules to also go to college or university some day. Why? What if Juliet doesn't get married? What if Juliet does get married and doesn't have children? Do you spend your days cleaning and fussing in the house? What if Juliet does marry and there are financial problems? (Is your head ringing yet?) I want her to be able to provide for herself if she has to. I would hate to have my daughter panic because let's say, she's thirty, unmarried, and knows how to care for a house and bake and cook, etc, and that's about it. I don't have anything against parents wanting to "train" their daughters to be housewives and homemakers (I think my mom trained us girls in my family, more or less, to be able to care for a house, etc., but I think I learned by default, which was perfectly fine by me). But if being a "homemaker" is the only option for a young girl, I have a problem with that. Saying that every woman has to find fulfillment ONLY at home is...limiting. I understand why so many people are against the "career women." We picture a woman getting up at five in the morning, rushing her kids off to daycare, racing back to the daycare at five o'clock, throwing a frozen pizza in the oven, putting the kids in bed, and then being too tired to pay a whit of attention to the ole' hubby. Yeah, it's not a pretty picture. And I am not endorsing it. But there are other "pictures" out there, too. But I do think there can be fabulous reasons for the working gal as well! I am thankful (most days) for the opportunity to get out of the house, dabble in teaching, make a little money, and come back home to my little girl! Reading this little post, I'm afraid I sound a little on the defensive side, but it's what I think I believe.... Am I crazy? And, before someone jumps down my throat, of course I do believe that you do not have to have a college degree to be "educated." That said, having a college education can open up doors that would be otherwise closed. And now that I am done with all this disclaimer business, I shall quietly shut down my computer, and pay attention to this little girl who has been bugging me since I started typing!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Right on! But oh dear, Nic...you've certainly hit a sore spot! Especially considering there are many in the blogging world who are endorsing the absolute opposite! I think some of us have reacted to the 'career woman' idea because there seems to be no options inbetween. It's either - work 5 days a week and send kids to daycare - or stay at home. Here in Holland, you'd have to search high and low to find someone who fit that picture. Most mothers work, and most do it only 2, maybe 3 days a week. I love this option because it allows us as women to still get out, cultivate our talents, have adult (professional) conversations and stimulate your brain. That being said, I'm not saying that a SAHM is not doing that. I think I mentioned this earlier, but a lot of people advocating only SAHM and educating their daughters to fulfill this role, hide behind Proverbs 31. This woman was amazing, BUT she certainly was out and about selling, buying, trading, weaving, etc. She provided for her family (also financially), along with her husband. We forget that our times have changed - women used to always work both inside and outside the home (selling at markets, working the fields, etc)- it's just that times have changed, and Grandmas aren't live-in members of the family. But anyways, enough of my diatribe. I'm looking forward to some comments on this hot topic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heehee. I'm educated!! And have a pretty cool sounding job too - nurse on a Burn Trauma Unit. So I think I'm covered and will be ok... if I stay single: CHECK. If I get married and don't have kids: CHECK. If I get married and there are financial troubles: CHECK.

    ReplyDelete