Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Bodecole!!!

This was my meal last week....

I suddenly had a craving for a childhood meal that my mom used to make quite regularly.  There is something so satisfying and homey about an old-fashioned dutch meat and potatoes meal.   I have no idea how to spell this, but the meal I made is called in Dutch something like "bodecole."  (Stop laughing at me, all you dutchies).  It was delicious!  Of course, when I was young I thought it was disgusting (other than the smoked sausage), but now I love it.  Funny how that happens!  I think pretty much every food I disliked when I was a kid I now love!  I kept the kale out of the potatoes for Juliet, knowing she would not like them, and overall it was a success.  Here's to kale, potatoes, and smoked sausage (with a side of fresh beans)!  What is your favorite childhood meal?

4 comments:

  1. I'm snickering inside but I wont laugh too hard Nic! It's "boerenkool" - and I only know this because I googled it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had boerenkool with Josh! Wonder if he'd like it? We do, however, have hutsput (potatoes and carrots) somewhat regularly except we make it with fried onions and sour cream. Mmmmmm..... Did you have a recipe that you followed for the boerenkool?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ange. No, no recipe; just winged it. Basically I added cooked kale to mashed potatoes and baked the sausage in the oven. You could boil the sausage but I like to bake it. So it's super easy and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nik! My favourite meal when I was young (and still is) is rode kool (red cabbage) and potatoes and meatballs! A-MA-ZING! lol. Boerenkool is also super lekker. Ironically I'm planning on making it tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete