Welcome!

Welcome to my blog on just about everything!

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Question for You

Here's the latest question I have that has been bugging me. How come we refer to some sins as "heinous" and "scandalous" as opposed to what...just "regular" sin? If you read the Canons of Dordt, for example, they refer to some sins as heinous. I can't figure it out. Does the Bible make distinctions between certain sins? Is it just a bad habit to refer to some sins as really, really bad? So gossiping is bad, but maybe not toooooo bad, but having a lustful thought is worse? I realize some sins (such as adultery and murder) does influence more than one person, so in that sense, maybe those sins are "worse"? Well, that's my question for the week.

2 comments:

  1. I've often thought about that myself. I remember hearing in a sermon once that lying is just as much a sin as murder. Maybe we like to think that if we lie or gossip, then we're not TOO bad, at least we're not killing people! However, if you read all the laws that God gave to the Israelites in the old testament, there were harsher punishments for "harsher" sins, so I don't know... tough question Nicolette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solomon also talks about the seven sins the Lord absolutely hates. Of course God hates all sins, but I do believe there is a distinction between sins that perhaps affect yourself (eg: a covetous thought) and that affect others (eg: adultery) and that 'affect' the honour of the Lord (eg: satanic activities). But not an easy question, Nic!

    ReplyDelete